The Coen brothers' film, O Brother, Where Art Thou? gathered a devoted cult following, as most of the films from the brothers will. But what no one expected was the runaway success of the soundtrack that represented the music heard on the film. T Bone Burnett, an important musician and producer in the music industry, oversaw the compilation of the period music heard in the movie, giving birth to a soundtrack that is currently ranked one of the Top 10 soundtracks of all time in sales. Further, the album, selling more than nine million copies, is one of the highest selling albums since the new millennium started.
On August 16, Lost Highway Records will celebrate the 2001 Grammy Album of the Year winner's tenth anniversary by going back to the vaults and brushing the dust off the music that were recorded for the film but never made it into the movie.
The two-disc Various Artists Deluxe Edition will append an additional 17
tracks, 13 of which were Burnett-produced original session recordings from
back in 2000 and planned for the Coens' classic film. The remaining tracks were previously recorded
originals, like "Mood Indigo," and "Admiration" by Duke Ellington, "Tom Devil"
by Ed Lewis and The Prisoners, and "I'll Fly Away" by The Kossoy Sisters.
What will make this set especially important are alternate 'other artist' recordings of songs that were originally heard. Songs like "Big Rock Candy Mountain," heard at the beginning of the film, were recorded by three artists. The version retained was the one recorded by Harry McClintock. The bonus disc provides two other versions recorded by both Van Dyke Parks, and Norman Blake (who provided the original set's "I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" and "You Are My Sunshine"). There are alternate versions by other artists of "In The Highways," "You Are My Sunshine," "I'll Fly Away," "Keep On The Sunny Side," and "In The Jailhouse Now."
The two-disc 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of O Brother, Where Art Thou? will be reissued in both CD and DD (Digital Download) formats.
There are no toads here.
Disc One: The Original O Brother, Where Art Thou? Tracklist
1. Po' Lazarus - James Carter and Prisoners
2. Big Rock Candy Mountain - Harry McClintock
3. You Are My Sunshine - Norman Blake
4. Down To The River To Pray - Alison Krauss
5. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
6. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues - Chris Thomas King
7. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - Norman Blake
8. Keep On The Sunny Side - The Whites
9. I'll Fly Away - Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch
10. Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby - Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch
11. In The Highways - Sarah, Hannah, and Leah Peasall
12. I Am Weary, Let Me Rest - The Cox Family
13. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - John Hartford
14. O Death - Ralph Stanley
15. In The Jailhouse Now - The Soggy Bottom Boys
16. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
17. Indian War Whoop - John Hartford
18. Lonesome Valley - Fairfield Four
19. Angel Band - The Stanley Brothers
Disc Two: Bonus Disc Tracklist
* Unreleased Tracks
*1. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues - Colin Linden
*2. You Are My Sunshine - Alan O'Bryant
*3. Tishamingo County Blues - John Hartford
4. Mood Indigo - Duke Ellington
*5. Cow Road - T Bone Burnett
6. I'll Fly Away - The Kossoy Sisters
*7. Big Rock Candy Mountain - Van Dyke Parks
8. Admiration - Duke Ellington
9. Tom Devil - Ed Lewis and the Prisoners
*10. Keep On The Sunny Side - The Cox Family
*11. Angel Band - Sarah, Hannah, and Leah Peasall
*12. Big Rock Candy Mountain - Norman Blake
*13. Little Sadie - Norman Blake
*14. In The Highways - The Cox Family
*15. That Hog's Foot Further In The Bed - John Hartford
*16. The Lord Will Make A Way - Fairfield Four
*17. In The Jailhouse Now - Harley Allen